My winning Apple Pie recipe is based on 3 varieties of apples and a lattice top crust.
Apple Pie with Lattice Top Crust
I recently entered a small contest for baking an apple pie at a local event. I thought about how I wanted to make it and what the top would look like and the pie would taste like.
I decided to try three different varieties of apples. I would guess depending on the month you are making this pie, is what you can find in season. For this pie I used Honey Crisp, Pink Lady and Granny Smith. Typically people use Granny Smith. I have also made a chart of different varieties of apples.
I also use both butter and vegetable shortening in the crust. When I went to culinary school, part of our lesson one day was making crusts with different fats. Mixing shortening and butter seems to be the best for flavor and flakiness.
Tips to make this the best apple pie ever:
- Cut your apples all the same size
- Make sure your crust ingredients are really cold
- Use an oven thermometer for a correct temperature
- Place in the middle of the oven for even heating
- Try to get your crust to cover the edges for the best looking crust
- 2½ Cups of all purpose
- ¼ ts salt
- 3 TB white granulated sugar
- ¼ cup vegetable shortening
- 1½ sticks butter, cut in pieces
- ½ cup ice water
- Egg wash
- 7 apples peeled, cored and sliced
- ¾ light brown sugar
- ¼ cup all purpose flour
- ¾ ts ground cinnamon
- 1 lemon juiced
- 3 TB butter diced
- Measure out butter, water and shortening and place in refrigerator to chill.
- Sift together, flour, salt and sugar, in large bowl.
- Mix in shortening with your fingers and coat it with the flour. Add the cold butter cubes and mix it into the flour with a pastry blender. Work quickly so butter doesn't melt. This is the key to a good crust.
- Once the mix looks like coarse cornmeal you can start adding drops of ice water a little at a time and mix it in.
- Use enough water until you can form a ball of dough and then split it in two and wrap each disk and place in plastic wrap and refrigerate for at least 30 minutes.
- Once your apples are cut and placed in a large bowl, add lemon juice to coat Apples. Mix, flour, brown sugar, cinnamon, and nutmeg in a smaller bowl and sprinkle over apples to coat generously.
- Preheat oven to 450 degrees
- Take out one disk of dough and roll out to 2" larger than your pie plate. Place into the pan and fill with apples. Adding any remaining sugar mix on top of apples.
- Take out second wrapped disk and roll out to 2" larger than pan. Take pastry cutter and slice even slices and weave on the top.
- Make an egg wash and brush on top of crust, moderately.
- Place in middle rack of oven on a cookie sheet. Bake for 40 - 50 minutes, checking on it the last few minutes.
By the way, my pie won for best looking pie. I was honored and realized I am not good at competitions, I was so nervous.
This Apple Pie with Lattice Top Crust is one of my favorite pies. What is yours?
Try some of my other easy desserts: