Losing weight is often something many people are looking to achieve each and every year. But did you know that certain teas can help with weight loss?
Of course, tea alone cannot lead to losing weight. But, when combined with a healthy diet and exercise, this list of teas can support you with your weight loss goals. From helping with bloating to aiding digestion, this list covers the best teas for weight loss.
Matcha Tea for Weight Loss
- 1. Matcha tea is a type of concentrated green tea. Originating in Japan, this powdered leaf tea offers a higher concentration of epigallocatechin gallate (EGCG). EGCG is a type of catechin and antioxidant. It helps to break down fat cells and hence leads to weight loss. One study found that by drinking matcha tea, participants lost weight, particularly around their tummy.
2. Puerh tea is a type of Chinese black tea. This tea is fermented, which supports healthy bacteria in the gut. It has been linked to
- aiding weight loss
- helping lower blood sugar levels
- Improving digestion
- Supporting your body to release fat stores.
3. Oolong tea is another type of tea that is partially oxidized and so is classed in between green tea and black tea.
Oolong tea is suggested to support weight loss due to being high in antioxidants. Oolong tea is especially high in the antioxidant, flavone. People with a higher consumption of flavones have been linked to having a lower body mass index.
It also is a tea which contains less caffeine than black tea or coffee and so ensures to not spike your sugar levels and make you feel jittery.
4. Green tea is one of the most common types of tea associated with weight loss. Matcha mentioned above is a type of green tea and hence they both offer similar effects on weight loss.
Green tea contains a high number of catechins. Catechins are a type of antioxidants that can help boost your metabolism. They have also been linked to increasing the amount of fat your body burns from fat cells. It is especially good at supporting the removal of fats around your tummy.
5. Lemon tea is a popular tea due to its lack of caffeine and refreshing taste. Lemon tea has a number of properties making it a great herbal tea for weight loss.
The acidic content from lemons helps to clean the liver, removing waste and toxins from your body. It also supports digestive function and hence will support the break down of sugars.
A healthy liver and digestive system can lead to less bloating. Combined with lemon tea regulating your metabolism, it is a good choice of tea for weight loss.
6. White tea is slightly different from black and green tea, in that the leaves are processed early on. Research has suggested that drinking white tea, helps to prevent new fat cells from forming, known as lipolysis. Interestingly, it also helps your body to break down existing fat cells and turn them into energy.
Similar to green and black tea, white tea also includes a high number of catechins, which are linked to aiding weight loss.
7. Goji berries have been found to help stabilize blood sugar as they balance the amount of insulin and glucose in the blood.
Within Goji tea, they have been linked to improving symptoms of depression and anxiety. Both can lead to stress, which has a significant negative impact on the body. When stressed our body releases a hormone known as cortisol. High levels of cortisol in the body have been linked to an increase in weight due to an increase in appetite. Cortisol related weight gain also leads to fat deposits around your tummy.
When drinking Goji tea, symptoms of depression and anxiety are reduced leading to a reduction in cortisol being released, and hence can support weight loss.
8. Dandelion is a herbal plant with numerous health benefits and drinking dandelion tea has been seen to benefit weight loss.
Dandelion tea acts as a diuretic, which causes an increase in passing urine. So if you are feeling bloated or retain excess water, dandelion tea can increase the amount of water released.
It has also been suggested to inhibit the enzyme pancreatic lipase. By inhibiting this enzyme, it helps our bodies to absorb less fat.
9. Chai tea combines black tea with ginger, cinnamon, and other spices. Due to its ingredients, Chai tea contains antibacterial properties which improve digestive health. Ensuring healthy digestion is vital for weight loss so that your body can break down foods effectively.
As Chai tea is made with milk, it contains a high amount of protein. Protein is linked to a reduction in hunger and feeling fuller for longer. This leads to you snacking and eating more throughout the day.
Chai tea is made using black tea, which as noted above, helps to breakdown fat.
10. Ginger tea is a great choice for weight loss if you are prone to inflammation and bloating. Ginger eases stomach pain and blocks the enzymes which cause bloating and inflammation. It is high in antioxidants which also support the reduction in inflammation too.
Ginger tea offers even more positive effects on weight loss when combined with lemon or apple cider vinegar. From improving gut health to feeling fuller for longer.
If you are looking for a natural, healthy drink to aid weight loss, this list of 10 teas is a good place to start. Natural teas have numerous health benefits to promote weight loss from containing anti-inflammatory and antioxidant properties to reducing feelings of hunger and bloating.
Remember, drinking these teas can benefit weight loss, but weight loss will work best when combined with a healthy, balanced diet and regular exercise.