Yerba mate is a herb native to South America, where it has been traditionally consumed as a stimulant beverage.
The leaves contain caffeine, tannins, and other compounds that give it their stimulating properties.
Historically, it has been used for medicinal purposes. Yerba mate is becoming increasingly popular around the globe. In fact, it is now sold in over 100 countries. Find out below how to make Yerba Mate.
If you want to try it out, you can purchase it at local stores or online.
These days, however, yerba mate is typically drunk from a thermos with a metal straw.
Alternatively, you can brew up a batch of this amazing drink yourself. Let’s learn how to make yerba mate tea.
How To Make Yerba Mate
- Wash your yerba mate leaves with water. This will remove any dirt or impurities from them.
- Put the washed leaves into a pot filled with water. Bring it to a boil then reduce heat and simmer for 10 minutes.
- Take off the stovetop and let it cool down for 5-10 minutes. You may also use an ice bath to speed up the process.
- Once the tea has brewed and cooled down, strain out the leaves using a sieve or a cheesecloth.
- Pour the strained liquid into another container. You can then enjoy it straight away or store it for up to 10 days.
- Enjoy your freshly made yerba mate tea! You can add honey or sugar if desired.
Drink one cup per day on an empty stomach (ideally first thing in the morning). You can also enjoy it mixed with milk, juice, or even lemonade.
Feel free to experiment with different flavors by adding mint, cinnamon sticks, nutmeg, cardamom pods, cloves, ginger root, etc.
You can also make iced yerba mate tea for a delicious and refreshing drink that will cool you down in the summer and give you an energy boost.
Steps To Make Iced Yerba Mate Tea
- 1 cup hot brewed yerba mate tea
- ½ cup cold water
- Ice cubes
- Sugar or honey (optional)
- An insulated mug or jar
- A spoon or straw
- A blender
- Pour the hot yerba mate tea into the insulated mug or jar.
- Add half a cup of cold water. Stir well.
- Top it up with some ice cubes.
- If you prefer, you can add the yerba mate and ice into a blender for a crushed ice yerba mate slushie.
- Serve immediately.
- Sweeten with optional sugar or honey.
- You can also blend the yerba mate tea with fruit juices like orange, pineapple, apple, grapefruit, kiwi, etc.
- You can also freeze the blended yerba mate tea and serve it chilled.
- You can also use frozen yerba mate leaves instead of fresh ones.
- To get rid of the bitter taste of yerba mate, soak the leaves in boiling water for 30 minutes before using them.
- When making iced yerba mate tea, always keep in mind that the colder the temperature, the better.
- Experiment with different types of yerba mate teas by blending them with fruits, herbs, spices, etc.
- Try brewing yerba mate with other ingredients such as coffee beans, cocoa powder, cacao nibs, matcha green tea, chai spice mix, etc.
- Use yerba mate leaves that have been stored properly. They will last longer and taste much better than those that were kept in humid places.
- If you want to make your own yerba mate at home, we recommend buying yerba mate online. There are many reputable brands available today.
Here Are Some Interesting Facts
- Yerba mate was originally used by the Amazonian Indians as a ritual offering to their gods.
- The name ‘yerba mate’ comes from the Mapuche language meaning “the leaf of the tree that gives fire.”
- Yerba mate is rich in antioxidants and minerals such as iron, calcium, magnesium, potassium, zinc, copper, manganese, phosphorus, sodium, and iodine.
- Yerba Mate contains more caffeine than coffee beans.
Yerba mate has become very popular recently due to its many health benefits.
It helps boost energy levels, improves brain function, increases the metabolism rate, relieves stress and anxiety, boosts immunity, and much more.
It is available in most supermarkets and natural food stores. Loose-leaf yerba mate can also be bought online from here.
More Tea Articles
Frequently Asked Questions
What Are The Benefits Of Drinking Yerba Mate?
The most common benefit of drinking yerba mate is its ability to boost energy levels.
However, there are many other health benefits associated with consuming this herbal product.
These include improved digestion, better concentration, increased metabolism rate, enhanced immunity, weight loss, and reduced risk of heart disease.
Can I Drink Yerba Mate Before Bedtime?
Yes, you can consume yerba mate any time of the day. However, experts recommend taking it in the morning since it helps wake you up.
Where Do I Find Yerba Mate? How Much Does It Cost?
You can buy yerba mate at local stores or online retailers. Prices vary depending on the brand. A good quality yerba mate costs between $15-$20 per bottle.
Is This Tea Safe To Drink?
Yerba mate has been consumed safely for centuries. It contains no harmful substances like caffeine, alcohol, or nicotine.
However, it is recommended to consult your doctor prior to consumption.
How Often Should I Drink Yerba Mate? Is It Addictive?
Yerba mate is not addictive. However, it is advisable to limit yourself to 3 cups daily. Drinking too much can cause dehydration.
Do You Have Any Tips For Beginners?
Drinking yerba mate regularly will help you get accustomed to its taste. If you don’t like it, try mixing it with water, milk, or juice.