This simple Tea Cake Recipe can be served with your favorite pot of hot tea. A delicious butter-pound cake with a light dusting of powdered sugar and berries.
This recipe is similar to a pound cake except that it adds milk and baking powder to it. It makes for a lighter cake. Dusting with powdered sugar and having sliced berries and whipped cream adds some sweetness and flavor. It pairs well with a nice cuppa hot tea.
What is Afternoon Tea Cake
According to Wikipedia – A teacake in England is generally a light yeast-based sweet bun containing dried fruit, typically served toasted and buttered. In the U.S. teacakes can be cookies or small cakes.
In Sweden, they are soft round flat wheat bread made with milk and a little sugar and used to make sandwiches, with butter, and for example ham and/or cheese.
In India and Australia, a teacake is more like a sponge cake. Tea refers to the popular beverage to which these baked goods are an accompaniment.
If you are planning a Tea Party for Two or more, you can make a pot of tea, some cucumber sandwiches, play some light instrumental music in the background and serve this delicious Tea Cake.
*This post may contain affiliate links. If you make a purchase, I get a small commission. Please see my disclosure policy for details
Tea Cake Recipe
- 9″ Springform Pan
- 1/2 Cup Butter Unsalted
- 1 Cup Granulated Sugar
- 2 large eggs
- 2 Teaspoon Vanilla Extract
- 1 3/4 Cup of All Purpose flour
- 2 Teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 ts kosher salt
- 1/2 Cup Whole Milk
- 4 Tablespoon sifted powdered sugar For Dusting
- Fruit for Topping Optional
- 4 Tablespoon Whipped Cream
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Line a 9" springform pan with parchment paper and spray with baking spray
- Using a standing mixer, cream together the butter and sugar until combined and fluffy
- Beat in the eggs, one at a time until combined and then Beat in the vanilla.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together the flour, baking powder, and salt until combined
- Alternate between the milk and flour, gradually mixing until completely combined
- Pour batter into springform pan and smooth evenly. Bake in the oven for 35 – 40 minutes or until a toothpick comes out clean
- Allow to cool on the counter completely. Dust with powdered sugar. Serve wth fresh berries and whipped cream