This Cherry Pie from Scratch recipe saved me last month for my daughters Pi Day this year. Her math class celebrates Pi Day, March 14 every year and some parents bring in pies but I always like to bake them.
Cherry Pie From Scratch Recipe
I really enjoy making pies and wish I had more time to make them. Like if I only had all the time in the world to bake pies right? The problem is then you have to eat them all , unless you want to give them away.
One thing I will say is Pies are not cheep to make and that’s probably why people like to pick them up in the store. I probably spent over $12.00 for ingredients. But if you have ever baked one and had your friends eat it, they will tell you how awesome they are and “YOU ARE for doing it”. I always like to hear kudos.
Anyway I was in a time crunch to make these and I almost bought a Pillsbury crust for time sake, but opted to just make the dough.
Dough is totally an art and that’s why you need to practice it. When I was in culinary school we learned 3 different techniques. I am giving you one today, the all butter method. If you want to see another crust method see my recipe for Apple Pie.
The fun thing about crust is all the different ways you can decorate your pie crust, depending on the flavors.
Recipe Pie Crust
Pie Crust from Scratch
- 2 1/2 cups all-purpose more for rolling.
- 1 ts salt
- 1 ts sugar
- 1 cup (2 sticks) cold unsalted butter, cut into pieces
- 1/4 to 1/2 cup ice water
- In a food processor, combine flour, salt, sand sugar: pulse briefly. Add butter, pulse until mixture resembles course meal, with a few pea sized pieces of butter remaining. Sprinkle with 1/4 cup ice water. Pulse until dough is crumbly but holds together when squeezed (if necessary add a little more water). Do not overmix.
- Divide dough in half, and turn out onto 2 large pieces of plastic wrap. Fold plastic over each portion of dough, press to shape into 2 3/4 inch thick disks. Refrigerate until firm, at least 1 hour and up to 3 days. dough can also be frozen up to 3 months (thaw before using)
- On a floured piece of parchment paper, roll 1 disk of dough to a 14 inch round. Wrap dough around rolling pin, unroll over a 9 inch pie plate. Gently fit into bottom and sides of plate, do not stretch dough. Using kitchen shears, trim dough to a 1 inch overhang all around, refrigerate until ready to use. Reserve and refrigerate remaining dough for top crust.
Cherry Pie Recipe
Cherry Pie from Scratch Recipe
- 2 Pounds Bing Cherries , pitted and halved (I used fresh frozen)
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- 2 TB cornstarch
- 2 TB fresh lemon juice
- All purpose flour , for rolling
- 1 large egg yolk , beaten with 1 TB water, for egg wash
- 1 TB turbinado or granulated sugar , for sprinkling
- Pie Dough Recipe from Above
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees, with rack in lowest position. On a floured piece of parchment paper, roll one disk of dough to a 14" round. Wrap dough around rolling pin, unroll over a 9 inch pie plate. Gently fit fit into bottom and sides of plate. Do not stretch. Using kitchen shears, trim dough to a 1 inch overhand all around. In a large bowl, combine cherries, granulated sugar, cornstarch, and lemon juice, toss until cherries are coated. Pour into prepared bottom crust.
- On a floured piece of parchment paper, roll second disk of dough to a 14" round. Cut into eight 1 1/2 inch wide strips, discard the shortest two. Weave strips over filling to form a lattice. Using kitchen shears, trim strips so they hang over rim by 1 inch. Tuck strips under rim of bottom crust, press to seal. Crimp with a fork all around the edge.
- Using a pastry brush, lightly brush lattice with an egg wash, and sprinkle with turbinado sugar.
- Place pie on a rimmed baking sheet. Bake until filling is bubbling rapidly all over, 60 to 70 minutes . wrap aluminum foil around crust at 40 minutes to prevent burning. Transfer pie to a wire rack and let cool to room temperature at least 3 hours.
Have fun with this Cherry Pie from scratch recipe.
Recipe adapted from Martha Stewart.
Free Menu Planning Cheat Sheets
Subscribe to get our latest recipes, budgeting and encouraging tips and receive our Free menu plan cheat sheet with 7 days sample recipes for Free.