What kind of cupcakes do you make for a children’s sports or birthday party? If they love baseball then Chocolate Baseball Cupcakes of course.
If you enjoy making creative cupcakes then these baseball sports cupcakes will do the trick. They will be a home run at your next sports event or birthday party.
We recently went to a birthday party and I was asked to make these fun cupcakes.
My daughter was one of the only girls invited to since she is an avid sports enthusiast, she fit right it. She played whiffle ball, she was the pitcher, then they swam and ate pizza and cupcakes. The cupcakes were a big hit and the birthday boy loved them.
How to Create Baseball Fondant Toppers
I started with making some chocolate cupcakes and white buttercream frosting while adding a little green frosting using the Wilton grass tip.
Then I made baseball fondant toppers. I bought some white fondant and rolled it out. Then took a biscuit cutter and cut out 24 of them. I do this the day before so they can dry and not get mushy when they sit on the cupcakes. Then when they are firm enough I used a red edible marker and made the thread design.
I really liked how they came out. Once they were done, I frosted the cupcakes with a 1M tip and made a swirl of Vanilla frosting and added some green grass frosting and then put the baseball topper on each one.
It is best to frost right before you put on the fondant. If you frost and wait, the frosting with crack and maybe come off when you lay the topper on, plus that is like the glue that holds it on.
You will also not want to refrigerate once the fondant is on since fondant doesn’t do well with refrigeration. I hope you enjoyed these chocolate baseball cupcakes and see some of my other easy dessert recipes.
Chocolate Baseball Cupcakes Recipe
Chocolate Baseball Cupcakes
- 1 1/2 sticks of softened butter
- 1 2/3 cup white granulated sugar
- 3 large eggs
- 1 ts Vanilla
- 2 cups sifted flour
- 2/3 cup cocoa powder
- 1 1/4 ts baking soda
- 1/4 ts baking powder
- 1 ts salt
- 1 1/3 cup hot water
- Baseball Fondant Toppers
- 2 sticks Butter Unsalted
- 3 cups Powdered Sugar Sifted
- 1 ts salt
- 1 ts milk
- 1 ts Vanilla Extract
- Preheat over to 350 degrees F. Line 2 muffin tins with cupcake liners
- In a stand mixer add butter and sugar and beat until creamy. Add eggs one at a time
- Add Vanilla
- In a large bowl, add all dry ingredients and use a whisk to blend.
- Add dry ingredients alternately with hot water into stand mixer.
- Using a ice cream scoop add to liners and Bake for 20 minutes, or until done.
- Place Butter in Mixer and Beat
- Add 1 cup of sifted sugar at a time until all are incorporated
- Add milk, salt and extract, continue beating until smooth
- Make Fondant toppers and then assemble.
*This post may contain affiliate links. If you make a purchase, I get a small commission. Please see my disclosure policy for details
- Wilton Muffin Pans
- Cupcake Liners
- Wilton 1 M Tip
- Wilton 233 Grass Tip
- Piping Liners
- Edible Writing Markers
- Biscuit Cookie Cutters
- Green Food Coloring
Leave me a 5 Star Review if you enjoy this recipe along with a comment