These Gooey Butter Cookies will melt in your mouth as a special holiday food treat. The powdered sugar and jimmies are a fun addition to your holiday gathering that everyone will enjoy!
It’s time to get your favorite cookie ingredients out for all the baking you will be doing this Christmas Season. These Christmas butter cookies are so easy to make, you just need a few ingredients, mix them up, chill, then roll and bake.
The jimmies and the powdered sugar make them extra special and oh-so-yummy! When you are done, try some of these other Christmas Cookies.
*This post may contain affiliate links. If you make a purchase, I get a small commission. Please see my disclosure policy for details
- Cream Cheese (use full fat for best flavor)
- 1/2 Cup Holiday Sprinkles of your choice. Jimmies don’t bleed as much when baked.
Expert Tips for Baking Cookies
- When you make rolled cookies, it is best they refrigerate well before you bake. If they are too warm they will spread and not keep their shape.
- Make sure you line the cookie sheets with either Parchment Paper or a Silpat
- Make sure the oven is properly preheated for at least 20 minutes.
- When making cookies if the recipe says to refrigerate dough make sure it’s chilled enough. Otherwise, your cookies will spread and not hold their shape. The longer you chill the less sticky the dough becomes to work with.
- Make your cookies uniform in size so they all bake the same and some will not be underbaked or overbaked.
- You can substitute Almond, Lemon or Peppermint Extract for a different flavor.
Equipment Used in Cookie Baking
If you loved this recipe and made it can you give it a 5-star review? That will help it be seen more. You can also pin it to Pinterest or share it on Facebook.
Christmas Gooey Butter Cookies with Sprinkles
- 1/2 Cup Unsalted Butter
- 1 8 oz Cream Cheese
- 1 Large Egg
- 1 teaspoon Vanilla Extract You can use Almond, Lemon or Peppermint Instead.
- 1 Box White Cake Mix
- 1/2 Cup Holiday Sprinkles Divided
- 1/2 Cup Confectioners Sugar
- Cream Together Softened Butter and Softened Cream Cheese. Add the Egg and Vanilla Extract and Beat until Mixed. Beat in the White Cake Mix until blended.
- Stir in 1/4 cup of the sprinkles. Refrigerate overnight or minimum one hour. Overnight works best.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Add a Silpat or Parchment Paper to Cookie Sheet. Scoop Out Rounded Tablespoonfuls of dough. Roll into 1 inch balls and then roll in bowl of sprinkles and then roll in confections sugar.
- Place on the cookie sheet and bake for 8-10 minutes. You can test a few to see what amount of time works best. I tried 8 and they were not done. I went with 10 minutes.
- Take out of oven and after 2-3 minutes place on a wire cooling rack.