Enjoy these Chocolate Cupcakes consisting of a chocolate cupcake, chocolate frosting, chocolate ganache drizzle, with homemade peppermint bark. Add a mini candy cane and candy cane crumbles for an out-of-this-world cupcake.
In case you don’t like Peppermint, but who wouldn’t, you can just skip the peppermint bark and candy cane and you have a luscious Chocolate Cupcake.
Your friends and family will love these festive Christmas cupcakes just in time for holiday parties and gift-giving treats. A great addition to our Christmas Cupcake collection.
What you will love about this recipe
This recipe does have a few steps, but it is so luscious and has a festive flavor to it. The colors are so pretty with the chocolate drizzle and an easy peppermint bark recipe.
This peppermint bark is made with both chocolate and vanilla flavors. You can choose to swirl it or layer it as we have done here.
If you are not a chocolate fan, you can always change up the Chocolate cupcake or frosting to Vanilla and it will be just as delicious.
*This post may contain affiliate links. If you make a purchase, I get a small commission. Please see my disclosure policy for details
Ghirardelli Milk Chocolate and White Chocolate Wafers. You can find these at Walmart or most Grocery Stores.
Items I used to Make Cupcakes
- Ice Cream Scoop
- Squeeze Bottle
- Wax Paper
- Red Cupcake Liners
- Ghirardelli Milk Chocolate Wafers
- Ghirardelli White Chocolate Wafers
- Mini Candy Canes
- Homemade Vanilla Extract
How to Make This Recipe
In a large bowl, add together the flour, 1/4 cup plus two Tablespoons of cocoa powder, baking powder, baking soda, and salt, and sift to combine. Add in the sugar and brown sugar and stir until combined.
Add the oil, buttermilk, egg, and vanilla extract. Stir until combined.
Pour the batter 3/4 full into the cupcake liners. Bake at 350°F for 17-20 minutes.
Chocolate Buttercream Frosting
In the bowl of a stand mixer fitted with the paddle attachment, or in a large mixing bowl using an electric mixer.
Add the butter on medium speed and beat for 1 minute. Add in the powdered sugar and cocoa powder 1 cup at a time. Continue to Mix and Combine.
Add the 3 Tablespoons of heavy whipping cream and vanilla extract. Mix on medium-high speed until the mixture is combined. Set Aside.
Using a small pot, pour the 1/3 cup of heavy whipping cream into it and place on medium heat.
Pour the chocolate chips into a medium heat-safe bowl. Once the heavy whipping cream starts to simmer, remove it from the heat and pour it onto the chocolate chips.
Allow to sit for 1 minute before whisking until smooth. Pour the chocolate ganache into the squeeze bottle. Set Aside.
Homemade Peppermint Bark
Melt the milk chocolate melting wafers in the microwave for several increments of 30 seconds until melted and smooth.
Smooth evenly onto a wax paper-lined cookie sheet. Place into the fridge for 1 hour. Repeat the steps for the white chocolate.
Once melted, pour the white chocolate over the milk chocolate and smooth it evenly. Sprinkle the crushed candy canes on top.
Place into the fridge for another hour. Once harden, use a knife to cut it into different sizes. Set aside for topping.
- You can substitute a Vanilla Cupcake for Chocolate Cupcakes
- If you do not have Buttermilk you can add a teaspoon of lemon juice to 1/2 cup of milk and let sit for 5 minutes.
- You can substitute the Granulated and Brown Sugar for Swerve Sweetener if you choose.
- You can use Lillys Chocolate for the chocolate chips and the peppermint Bark for a Sugar-Free substitute.
- You can add 1 Teaspoon of Peppermint Extract into the batter or frosting to give it an extra kick.
I used Hershey’s Unsweetened Cocoa Powder. You can read more about Dutch Processed VS Natural Cocoa Powder. Hershey’s is a Natural Cocoa Powder.
The best way to keep cupcakes moist is not to overmix the batter. Make sure you use fresh oil and don’t overbake. Always use fresh ingredients and check expiration dates.
If you will not be using all the cupcakes at once, store them before adding the candy cane. Use a container with a lid to keep out air and moisture. Cupcakes should stay fresh for 5-7 days.
Make sure you stop by my Amazon Shop for all your holiday gift-giving needs.
If you loved this recipe and made it can you give it a 5-star review? That will help it be seen more. You can also pin it to Pinterest or share it on Facebook.
Chocolate Cupcakes with Homemade Peppermint Bark
- 1 Cup Flour All Purpose
- 1/4 Cup Unsweetened Cocoa plus
- 2 Tablespoon Unsweetened Cocoa
- 3/4 Teaspoon Baking Powder
- 1/2 Teaspoon Baking Soda
- 1/2 Teaspoon Salt
- 1/2 Cup Brown Sugar Light Brown Sugar
- 1/2 Cup Granulated Sugar
- 1/3 Cup Vegetable Oil
- 1/2 Cup Buttermilk
- 1 Large Egg Room Temp
- 1 Teaspoon Pure Vanilla Extract
- 1 Cup Butter Unsalted Room Temp
- 2 1/2 Cups Powdered Sugar Sifted
- 1/4 Cup Cocoa Powder Unsweetened
- 3 Tablespoon Heavy Whipping Cream
- 1 Teaspoon Vanilla Extract
- Candy Canes For Decorations
- 1 Cup Semi-Sweet Chocolate Chips
- 1/3 Cup Heavy Whipping Cream
Homemade Peppermint Bark
- 2 Cups Ghirardelli milk chocolate melting wafers
- 2 Cups Ghirardelli white chocolate melting wafers
- 2 Cups crushed candy canes plus 1/2 C for decorating cupcakes
- Preheat Oven to 350 degrees.
- Line Cupcake Pan with Cupcake Liners.
- In a large bowl, add together the flour, cocoa powder, baking powder, baking soda, and salt, sift to combine.
- Add in the sugar and brown sugar stir until combined.
- Add the oil, buttermilk, egg, and vanilla extract. Stir until combined.
- Pour the batter 3/4 full in the cupcake liners.
- Bake at 350°F for 17-20 minutes.
- Remove the cupcakes from the oven. Transfer the cupcakes to a wire rack to cool.
- In the bowl of a stand mixer fitted with the paddle attachment, or in a large mixing bowl using an electric mixer.
- Add the butter on medium speed and beat for 1 minute.
- Add in the powdered sugar and cocoa powder 1 cup at a time. Continue to Mix and Combine.
- Add the 3 Tablespoons of heavy whipping cream and vanilla extract. Mix on medium-high speed until the mixture is combined.
- Using a small pot, pour the 1/3 cup of heavy whipping cream into it and place on medium heat.
- Pour the chocolate chips into a medium heat safe bowl.
- Once the heavy whipping cream starts to simmer, remove from heat and pour onto the chocolate chips.
- Allow to sit for 1 minute before whisking until smooth.
- Pour the chocolate ganache into the squeeze bottle.
- Melt the milk chocolate melting wafers in the microwave on increments of 30 seconds until melted and smooth.
- Smooth evenly onto a wax paper lined cookie sheet.
- Place into the fridge for 1 hour.
- Repeat the steps for the white chocolate.
- Once melted, pour the white chocolate over the milk chocolate and smooth evenly.
- Sprinkle the crushed candy canes on top.
- Place into the fridge for another hour. Once harden, use a knife to cut into different sizes.
- Set aside for topping.
- Using an ice cream scooper, scoop the frosting onto the cupcake.
- Using the ganache drizzle it over the top of the frosting.
- Place a cut peppermint bark into the back of the frosting.
- Place a candy cane in front of the peppermint bark.
- Sprinkle some crushed candy canes on top.
Leave a Reply