Enjoy these Chocolate Peppermint Cupcakes consisting of a chocolate cupcake, chocolate frosting, chocolate ganache drizzle, and homemade peppermint bark. Add a mini candy cane and candy cane crumbles for an out of this world cupcake.
In case you don’t like Peppermint, but who wouldn’t, you can just skip the bark and candy cane and you have a luscious Chocolate Cupcake.
Your friends and family will love these festive cupcakes just in time for holiday parties and gift-giving treats. A great addition to our Christmas Cupcake collection.
How To Make These Holiday Cupcakes
- Start with a Chocolate Cupcake (Instructions Below)
- Whip up some Chocolate Cocoa Frosting (Instructions Below)
- Make the Chocolate Ganache (Super Easy)
- Make the Peppermint Bark (A tasty treat all by itself)
- Add a Mini Candy Cane and Peppermint Crumbles
Leave me a 5 Star Review if you enjoy this recipe along with a comment
Peppermint Bark Chocolate Cupcake Recipe
Peppermint Bark Cupcakes
- 1 Cup Flour
- 1/4 Cup Unsweetened Cocoa
- 2 TBS Unsweetened Cocoa
- 3/4 tsp Baking Powder
- 1/2 tsp Baking Soda
- 1/2 tsp Salt
- 1/2 Cup Brown Sugar
- 1/2 Cup Granulated Sugar
- 1/3 Cup Vegetable Oil
- 1/2 Cup Buttermilk
- 1 Large Egg Room Temp
- 1 tsp Pure Vanilla Extract
- 1 Cup Butter Unsalted Room Temp
- 2 1/2 Cups Powdered Sugar Sifted
- 1/4 Cup Cocoa Powder
- 3 TBS Heavy Whipping Cream
- 1 tsp Vanilla Extract
- Candy Canes For Decorations
Chocolate Ganache Ingredients
- 1 Cup Semi-Sweet Chocolate Chips
- 1/3 Cup Heavy Whipping Cream
- 2 Cups Ghirardelli milk chocolate melting wafers
- 2 Cups Ghirardelli white chocolate melting wafers
- 2 Cups crushed candy canes plus 1/2 C for decorating cupcakes
- Preheat Oven to 350 degrees
- Line Cupcake Pan with Cupcake Liners
- In a large bowl, add together the flour, cocoa powder, baking powder, baking soda, and salt, sift to combine.
- Add in the sugar and brown sugar stir until combined
- Add the oil, buttermilk, egg, and vanilla extract. Stir until combined.
- Pour the batter 3/4 full in the cupcake liners.
- Bake at 350°F for 17-20 minutes.
- Remove the cupcakes from the oven. Transfer the cupcakes to a wire rack to cool
- In the bowl of a stand mixer fitted with the paddle attachment, or in a large mixing bowl using an electric mixer.
- Add the butter on medium speed and beat for 1 minute.
- Add in the powdered sugar and cocoa powder 1 cup at a time. Continue to Mix and Combine.
- Add the heavy whipping cream and vanilla extract. Mix on medium-high speed until the mixture is combined
- Using a small pot, pour the heavy whipping cream into it and place on medium heat
- Pour the chocolate chips into a medium heat safe bowl
- Once the heavy whipping cream starts to simmer, remove from heat and pour onto the chocolate chips
- Allow to sit for 1 minute before whisking until smooth
- Pour the chocolate ganache into the squeeze bottle
- Melt the milk chocolate melting wafers in the microwave on increments of 30 seconds until melted and smooth
- Smooth evenly onto a wax paper lined cookie sheet
- Place into the fridge for 1 hour
- Repeat the steps for the white chocolate
- Once melted, pour the white chocolate over the milk chocolate and smooth evenly
- Sprinkle the crushed candy canes on top
- Place into the fridge for another hour. Once harden, use a knife to cut into different sizes
- Set aside for topping
- Using an ice cream scooper, scoop the frosting onto the cupcake
- Using the ganache drizzle it over the top of the frosting
- Place a cut peppermint bark into the back of the frosting
- Place a candy cane in front of the peppermint bark
- Sprinkle some crushed candy canes on top
*This post may contain affiliate links. If you make a purchase, I get a small commission. Please see my disclosure policy for details
Items I used to Make Cupcakes
- Ice Cream Scoop
- Squeeze Bottle
- Wax Paper
- Red Cupcake Liners
- Ghiradelli Milk Chocolate Wafers
- Ghiradelli White Chocolate Wafers
- Mini Candy Canes
Make sure you stop by my Amazon Shop for all your holiday gift giving needs.