A tangy citrus-flavored cupcake filled with key lime curd will be a welcome addition and soon become your new favorite cupcake and go-to dessert.
You can say I’m crazy about these Key Lime Cupcakes filled with Key Lime curd, they are so tangy. First, the pale green cupcakes look so pretty and then when you bite into it, you get a big dollop of Key Lime Curd.
Here is an informative article In case you wanted to know the difference between limes and key limes are.
These treats would also be perfect for your next tea party. I like to use mini cupcakes for my tea parties and I put 3 small desserts on a plate. I usually place a cupcake, maybe a chocolate-dipped strawberry and then either a cookie or a mini cheesecake.
Key Lime Cupcake Recipe
Key Lime Cupcakes filled with Key Lime Curd
- 1/2 lb of butter room temp
- 1 1/2 cups of white granulated sugar
- 4 large egg yolks
- 1 cup of sour cream
- 2 cups sifted flour
- 1 Teaspoon baking soda
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon key lime juice (Nellie and Joe’s)
- 1 teaspoon almond flavor
- 4 large egg whites beaten fluffy not stiff
- 1/2 lb of softened butter
- 3 cups of sifted powdered sugar
- 1 Tablespoon of vanilla extract
- 1 teaspoon of lime oil or Key lime juice to taste
- 1/8 teaspoon of salt
- 1/4 cup graham cracker crumbs
- Cream butter and add sugar beating until well blended. Add flavoring and egg yolks to butter mixture and beat well.
- Add sour cream and mix well. Fold in dry ingredients. When incorporated remove from mixer and set aside.
- Beat egg whites in a clean bowl until fluffy. Fold into the batter until well mixed. Do not over mix.
- Heat oven to 350 degrees and use an ice cream scoop to fill paper cups 2/3 full. Bake for 18 – 20 minutes until light golden.
- Beat softened butter with sifted powdered sugar, 1 cup at a time. Add extracts and salt. Beat for 3 – 5 minutes. Add more extract to taste.
- Fill with Key Lime Curd and frost when cupcakes have cooled.
- Optional: Dust with graham cracker crumbs
- Using a citrus zester, zest key limes on top of graham crackers