These Lemon Curd Cupcakes are the perfect Spring or Summer dessert with a sweet tangy lemon curd filling inside a light lemon vanilla sour cream cupcake. For more cupcake ideas like these try our other creative cupcake ideas.
*This post may contain affiliate links. If you make a purchase, I get a small commission. Please see my disclosure policy for details
What I love about these cupcakes
When you bite into these lemony cupcakes you get a surprise of the tartness of the gooey lemon curd along with the sweetness of the Vanilla Frosting. A match made in heaven. When I worked in a bakery, these were some of the top sellers.
The recipe uses common baking ingredients, such as flour, eggs, lemons, baking soda, and baking powder. You will also need sour cream and either Lemon curd or you can make the recipe I have included below. “See the recipe card below for full information on Ingredients and quantities.”
- Cream Butter, Sugar, and add vanilla and lemon juice. Add eggs one at a time.
- In a separate bowl add the dry ingredients. Then add dry ingredients to the batter and add the sour cream alternately with dry ingredients.
- Bake the cupcakes for 20-22 minutes.
- Let cool and then using an apple corer remove the middle of the cupcakes and add the lemon curd.
- In a new bowl cream the butter and powdered sugar. Adding Vanilla extract, salt, and milk as needed. Don’t add the milk all at once.
- Decorate and enjoy.
If you don’t want that surprise of gooey goodness in the middle you can skip it. I would then add 1 teaspoon of lemon extract to the frosting to give it a little kick. You can still add the vanilla extract and use both.
You can use a small sharp knife and cut out a little scoop or use a small spoon. Being careful not to break the cupcake in half.
Yes, these would be delicious that way. You can use key lime juice instead of lemon juice and add some store-bought or homemade lime curd.
- When baking these cupcakes, make sure you use fresh baking soda and baking powder.
- Always taste your extracts and lemon juice to make sure they are fresh.
- You can freeze these cupcakes unfrosted by wrapping them tightly and sealing them in a storage container before freezing them for up to two months.
- Homemade Lemon Curd tastes so delicious in these cupcakes but you can also buy storebought sold at most grocery stores or specialty stores.
How to Display Your Cupcakes
I make the lemon curd in advance. I make enough that I can freeze it for later use.
Serve them with some lemonade served in pretty mason jars and cute straws. You can also display them on a pretty cake pedestal and place them on a sideboard or buffet table with some paper doilies. This will make a beautiful dessert bar.
If you loved this recipe and made it can you give it a 5-star review? That will help it be seen more. You can also pin it to Pinterest or share it on Facebook.
Lemon Curd Cupcakes
- 1 stick of softened unsalted butter
- 1 cup of granulated sugar
- 2 large eggs
- 1 teaspoon lemon zest
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1 1/2 Cups All Purpose Flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 cup sour cream
- 1 teaspoon fresh lemon juice
- 1 cup lemon curd (recipe above) or storebought
- 2 sticks Softened Unsalted Butter
- 3 Cups Sifted Powdered Sugar
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon milk
- 1 teaspoon Vanilla (or lemon extract)
- Cream the butter and add sugar, once combined add vanilla and lemon juice. Beat until creamy and well blended. Add eggs one at a time, while craping bowl. Alternate dry ingredients (flour, baking powder and baking soda) with the sour cream and mix well. Fold in lemon zest.
- Fill 12 cupcake liners 1/2 full and bake for 20 -22 min until done.
- Remove from pan to cool.
- Once Cool remove middle of cupcake with cupcake corer or apple corer.
- Fill with Lemon Curd.
- Place butter in Electric Mixer and beat.
- Add Sifted sugar 1 cup at a time.
- Add milk as needed.
- Add salt and extract.
- Frost Cupcakes. Add Sprinkles.