A deliciously tart and sweet Lemon curd recipe for your scones, cupcakes, and more with 5 ingredients.
I adore this easy lemon curd recipe. I have been making it for the last 7 years. It started when I owned a small tearoom and I served it each day with these cream scones. Besides Lemon Curd, you can also make Lime Curd. If you love lemon recipes visit my favorite lemon recipe page
Delicious Lemon Curd Recipe
It’s pretty easy to make this curd, just a little time-consuming. You can serve it with scones, put it on cake, cookies, and fill cupcakes with it. There is endless fun you can have with lemon curd. It will last about 3 weeks refrigerated or you can even freeze it for later.
I like to jar it up and give it as gifts. I don’t have a picture here, but you can put a cute label on it and send it on its merry way. Your friends will love you for it.
Lemon Curd was brought over by the colonists from England, where it is known as lemon cheese or lemon butter. I found this recipe from Rose Beranbaum’s Cake Bible. There are many versions around, so experiment and find one that works for you.
Lemon Curd Recipe
- 4 large egg yolks
- 1/2 cup + 2 Tablespoons Sugar
- 2 Lemons Juiced
- 4 Tablespoons Butter Unsalted (1/2 stick)
- 2 Teaspoons zest
- pinch salt
- In a heavy saucepan, beat the yolks and sugar until well blended. Stir in the remaining ingredients except for the lemon zest.
- Cook over medium-low heat, stirring constantly until thickened and resembling a thin hollandaise sauce, which thickly coats the back of a wooden spoon but is still liquid enough to pour.
- The mixture will change and become opaque and begin to take on a yellow color. It must not be allowed to boil or it will curdle.
- You may have to remove the pan when you see steam for a moment and then replace it. When the curd has thickened, pour immediately through a strainer and add the zest. Discard the remaining residue. Pour into an airtight container and let cool. It will continue to thicken.
Tips for making no fail Lemon Curd
The hardest part of this is not allowing it to curdle. Remember to keep the temp medium-low and constantly stir. I know you will enjoy this lemon curd recipe. Sign up above to receive future recipes, get tea party tips or follow along on Pinterest.
For other favorite tea party recipes try these.