Sometimes the simplest recipes are the ones we love most. That’s how I feel about Mac & Cheese. So this week I made Smoked Gouda macaroni and cheese.
I love that it is a simple dish, but yet so much better than the boxed version. Plus you can add so much more to homemade. I have to keep it simple because the kids get freaked out when there are things in any food dish I make. Things like, onions, tomatoes, olives, peppers, so I leave them out or make two, like I did with my Quiche this week. They don’t like spinach, so I made another with bacon replacing the spinach and they ate it up.
This is the first time I used Gouda but I noticed a lot of restaurants I have been to make a mac and cheese with gouda, so I thought I would try it. I mixed the sharp cheddar with it and it was a completely different taste, but so good. Now if I had my way, I would have added black olives and onions. I like a little more texture in my foods and I think that would have just added the right amount. I did add a bread crumb on top which changed it up a bit.
This was a really big batch and I was able to use all the leftover macaroni I had from the minestone soup I made last week, so I was glad to get a lot of use out of that one box. Plus there was leftovers for lunch the next day.
This meal is made partly on the stove and finishes up in the oven. I made it at lunch time while the kids were in school and just heated it up for dinner with some salad. I am finding that easier than waiting until 4:00 pm to start dinner, when the kids are home and need more of my attention. You can also try my skillet beefy mac and cheese recipe.
Smoked Gouda Macaroni and Cheese
- 16 oz elbow macaroni , cooked and drained
- 4 Tbsp butter
- 2 1/4 cup skim milk
- 1/2 cup flour
- 1 1/4 cup heavy cream
- 2 tsp kosher salt
- 1 tsp ground black pepper
- 1/2 tsp dry mustard
- 2 tsp worcestershire
- 1 lb smoked gouda cheese , shredded
- 1/2 lb sharp cheddar cheese , shredded
- 4 slices bread
- 3 Tbsp butter , melted
- Onions (optional)
- Sliced Black olives (optional)
- Prepare macaroni according to package directions. Set aside.
- In large pot, melt butter over medium high heat. Add skim milk and bring to near boiling. Reduce heat to medium and sprinkle in flour. Whisk vigorously over medium heat for 1-2 minutes. Mixture should be thick and boiling. Slowly add cream, while whisking. Add in salt, pepper, mustard and Worcestershire sauce. Reduce heat to low and continue to stir for about 5 minutes.
- In food processor, shred Gouda and Cheddar cheese. Add to pot, stir until thoroughly combined.
- Add cooked macaroni to cheese mixture. Pour into a 13x9 dish.
- In same food processor bowl process 4 slices of bread to a fine crumb. Add melted butter. Sprinkle over macaroni.
- Bake uncovered in a 375 degree oven for 25-30 minutes.
If you liked this smoked Gouda macaroni and cheese recipe than try this one:
Never miss another post:
Subscribe and I’ll keep you posted
Free Menu Planning Cheat Sheets
Subscribe to get our latest recipes, budgeting and encouraging tips and receive our Free menu plan cheat sheet with 7 days sample recipes for Free.