Make this Crockpot buffalo chicken mac and cheese tonight! It’s a simple – and spicy – family dinner idea for busy weeknights.
This is the perfect comfort food for cool nights. With creamy homemade cheese sauce and a little kick from the buffalo sauce and the extra protein of the chicken, you have a complete meal. Prep time is less than 10 minutes. Try more of our other Crockpot Meals.
*This post may contain affiliate links. If you make a purchase, I get a small commission. Please see my disclosure policy for details
Why This Recipe Works
There are a few flavors that are just so iconic! The spice of buffalo sauce always goes perfectly with chicken. They were made for each other.
Something else that I discovered is perfect together, is buffalo chicken and macaroni and cheese! It’s incredible how these two flavors mesh.
I made the entire thing from scratch, with all whole ingredients.
- Boneless Chicken – use either breast or thigh, either work perfectly. Save time and shred rotisserie chicken instead. If you use a Rotisserie Chicken cut your cook time to one hour in the crockpot on low.
- Buffalo Sauce – I use Franks Red Hot Buffalo Sauce.
- Milk – Whole milk works the best. For dairy-free use either almond milk or soy milk
- Shredded Cheese – sharp cheddar cheese has the best flavor. If you can shred your own cheese it will taste better with no preservatives in it.
Step 1. Add chicken, broth, buffalo sauce, and seasoning to the crockpot. Cook on high for 3-4 hours or low for 6-8.
Step 2. Shred fully cooked chicken with forks inside the crockpot. Add uncooked pasta and stir to combine. Cover and cook pasta on high for 30-45 minutes until fully cooked add additional water 1/4 cup if needed during this time and stir.
Step 3. In a saucepan over medium-high heat melt butter and Whisk in flour. Pour in milk while whisking continuously until smooth. Bring to a simmer for 4-6 minutes until the sauce thickens enough to stick to a spoon. Remove from heat and whisk in cheese until melted and smooth.
Step 4. Add cheese sauce to crockpot and stir to combine. Get the full instructions below.
F.A.Q’s & Expert Tips
I made this dish in the slow cooker, and it couldn’t have been any easier! In fact, I have the entire recipe for you at the end of this post in a printable card.
First, here are a few tips that are definitely going to help!
Prep Your Chicken
Before you even begin putting things in your crockpot, defrost your chicken (if it’s frozen), then clean it and trim off any fat.
There is nothing worse than biting into a piece of chicken fat!
Use A Crock Pot Liner
If you don’t have any cooking spray, use a Crock-Pot liner. This will make clean-up time a breeze!
How Much Buffalo Sauce To Use
How spicy do you like your recipes? Start out with 1/2 cup of buffalo sauce and then just keep adding more until you get it to taste how you like it.
Save Time With Store-Bought Cheese Sauce
If you are really crunched for time, you can always use store-bought cheese sauce. Believe me, making it from scratch tastes a million times better. You can substitute mozzarella cheese if you prefer.
Make Cheese Sauce While Pasta Cooks
Speed up your cooking time by making the cheese sauce while the pasta is boiling. Two things at once!
Optional Toppings for Mac and Cheese
There are lots of things you can add on top. Have fun and add your favorite herbs and garnishes.
Try topping it with some blue cheese crumbles and parsley. Yum!
What To Serve With It
Serve this pasta dish with a green Garden salad. Since this has an overpowering flavor, serve it with other light ingredients.
- For easy clean up use a crockpot liner.
- Use thawed not frozen chicken in this recipe.
- You can use small or medium elbow macaroni or shells for pasta.
- Serve with a side dish of celery sticks and ranch dressing.
If you loved this recipe and made it can you give it a 5-star review? That will help it be seen more. You can also pin it to Pinterest or share it on Facebook.
Crockpot Buffalo Chicken Mac and Cheese
- 1 lb Boneless Chicken Breasts
- 2 cups chicken broth Organic Preferrably
- 1/2 cup Buffalo Sauce Either Franks Red Hot Buffalo wings sauce or Sweet Baby Rays Buffalo Sauce
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 12 oz Pasta Shells Small or Medium
- 3 Tablespoon butter
- 2 Tablespoon flour
- 2 cups whole milk
- 2 cups shredded cheese mild or sharp cheddar or your choice
- Add chicken, broth, buffalo sauce and seasoning to crockpot.
- Cook on high for 3-4 hours or low for 6-8.
- Shred fully cooked chicken with forks inside the crockpot.
- Add uncooked pasta and stir to combine.
- Cover and cook pasta on high for 30-45 minutes until fully cooked add additional water 1/4 cup if needed during this time and stir.
- In a saucepan over medium-high heat melt butter and Whisk in flour.
- Pour in milk while whisking continuously until smooth.
- Bring to simmer for 4-6 minutes until sauce thickens enough to stick to a spoon.
- Remove from heat and whisk in cheese until melted and smooth.
- Add cheese sauce to crockpot and stir to combine.
- Make sure your chicken is completely thawed.
- Try using a crockpot liner for easy cleanup.
- To save time you can use pre-shredded cheeses.
This sounds really tasty! I often add ketchup to macaroni and cheese but never thought of trying buffalo sauce. Such a great idea. Yum!
Anne Lawton says
If Buffalo is involved I’m there with my fork in hand. And I love that this can be made in a slow cooker!
Wow! Everyone loved this so much! A keeper 🙂
Oh my husband would LOVE this! He loves anything buffalo!
The Mac and Cheese with buffalo sauce looks incredible. Such an easy and delicious recipe
I wasn’t sure how I’d feel about Buffalo sauce, but this one looks amazing. I’ll have to try it for sure!
I love the addition of buffalo sauce – it adds such a great flavor!