One of my favorite treats at Christmas is Christmas Crack with M & Ms. It’s one of those dessert recipes that have me begging for the holidays to get here sooner. If you love toffee and chocolate with a little bit of extra holiday goodness (red & green M & Ms and sprinkles) than this is the perfect treat for your next holiday party.
I admit, I only found out about these in the last few years. I was at my daughters school party and one of the moms brought them in. Who would have thought using Saltine Crackers would be such a hit. My hubby was watching me and he thought, are you crazy? Where did you get that idea from?
Well its not called Christmas Crack for nothing. They are addicting. So sweet with a little salty and crunch. The perfect combination. I love adding the M & M’s on top and some sprinkles just to give it some Christmas Cheer. You could actually make this year round and just change up what’s on top. Even just changing the color of sprinkles on top can get you into a different holiday season.
When making this dessert recipes I would just like to advise you not to skimp on the butter. You need the whole 2 sticks to get the crackers covered. Also do not layer your crackers or they probably wont have enough caramel on them. They really need to soak in the mixture which works best with a single layer of saltines. With that said, on with the recipe.
Christmas Crack Recipe
- 2 sticks of butter
- 1 cup light brown sugar
- Approx 1 sleeve of saltines, about 40
- 2 cups of semi sweet chocolate chips
- Sprinkles and M & M's
- Pre-heat oven to 325°.
- Line 9x13 jelly roll pan with aluminum foil. Spray foil with cooking spray and then line pan with saltine crackers, not overlapping.
- Place butter and sugar in a medium sized saucepan over low medium/low heat. Stir until butter is melted. Once butter is melted, bring to a boil for exactly 3 minutes. Stir constantly.
- When it has been bubbling for 3 minutes, pour evenly over crackers. Spread mixture with a knife. Try to move fast during this part so the toffee doesn't harden.
- Place pan in oven and bake for 7-8 minutes. The mixture will spread evenly over the crackers as it bakes.
- Remove pan from oven and then sprinkle the chocolate chips on top of the toffee while it's still hot. Let the chocolate chips melt for a few minutes and then spread all over the toffee with a spatula. Sprinkle M&M's and sprinkles on top and then place in the fridge for 30 minutes. Once chocolate has hardened break pieces off the foil and store for up to two weeks in an container or Eat ASAP.
If you like Christmas Crack with M & Ms, then try these recipes:
- Over 20 Holiday Cookie Recipes
- Peppermint White Chocolate Creme Brulee
- Pumpkin Creme Brulee
- Lemon Shortbread Cookies dipped with white chocolate
Items to help you make your Christmas Crack