This Crockpot Bread Pudding with Caramel Sauce is sure to be a favorite in your family. It is a true comfort food dessert. You can drizzle the caramel sauce on top with a scoop of ice cream or whipped cream just before serving. For more Crockpot recipes try these.
This bread pudding contains fresh apples, apple pie filling, heavy cream, maple syrup, and spices. Your kitchen and crockpot will be filled with delicious scents and flavors. Just make sure you wait until your dessert is finished before you dig into the crockpot.
I have a Crockpot French Toast recipe you will want to try also.
Crockpot Bread Pudding Recipe
This dessert recipe takes approximately 4 1/2 hours to complete. It is well worth the wait. The combination of bread, maple syrup, apples, and cinnamon with the caramel drizzle make this dessert a favorite.
It takes about 20 minutes of prep cutting the apples and bread. You will be heating up the crockpot while doing this. Then it sits for about 4 hours with several stirs in between. You can start the caramel at any time if you are going to add this on top. It can be made without if you prefer. But you will be missing out.
Apple Bread Pudding with Caramel Sauce
Crockpot Bread Pudding
- 6-7 Quart Crockpot
- 1 Loaf un-sliced bread
(Italian – French – Challah – or your favorite)
- 1 Can Sweetened Condensed Milk
- 1/2 Cup heavy cream
- 1 Can Apple pie filling
- 1/2 Cup Maple syrup
- 3 Apples peeled and sliced
- 3 tbsp Butter Divided as Below
- 1/4 ts salt
- 1 Cup Brown Sugar
- 1/4 cup granulated sugar
- 1 Tbsp Cinnamon
- 2 Eggs Beaten
- 1/2 Cup Granulated Sugar
- 1/2 Cup Brown Sugar
- 1/4 Cup Water
- 1/2 Cup Heavy Cream
- 1/8 ts Salt
- 6 Tbsp Butter cut into small pieces to allow it to melt quicker, and more evenly
- Turn the crockpot on high for 20 minutes before you start this recipe. When the slow cooker is really hot, place 1 1/2 Tablespoons of butter in the bottom of the crockpot. Cut the bread in one-inch cubes – you'll have 4 – 5 cups of bread cubes – set aside.
- Wash and peel the apples, and slice in about 1/4 inch thick slices. Place the apple slices in a large bowl, and sprinkle with the granulated sugar, and stir. Add the Apple pie filling, and cinnamon, and stir well. Add the condensed milk, heavy cream, Maple syrup, salt, and brown sugar, and stir well to completely blend all ingredients together. In a small bowl, break the eggs, and beat with a fork or whisk until a light lemon color, and fluffy. Add the eggs to the Apple mixture, and stir well. Check on butter in the slow cooker, it should be melted and sizzling. Add the cubed bread to the slow cooker, and stir/toss the bread cubes in the butter to coat. Spread the bread cubes out in the bottom of the slow cooker, and allow them to sit in the bottom of the cooker for 10 minutes, or until they're a little crunchy. Pour the apple mixture over the bread in the slow cooker, and spread out evenly over the bread. Slice the remaining butter in thin slices, and dot the top of the bread pudding with the slices. Sprinkle a little sugar on top of the butter, and place the lid on the crockpot.
- Leave the slow cooker on high for about 45 minutes, then turn it on the low setting, and let the bread pudding cook for about 2 hours. Check the bread pudding, and if all the apple pie filling has been absorbed, turn the pudding in the cooker, with a huge spoon, placing the top on the bottom of the slow cooker. This will allow the bread to become crunchy, and make sure all the Apple mixture is well cooked. Leave the bread pudding for another hour, and then check again to make sure the bread pudding is browned, and a knife inserted in the center comes out clean – if it does not, leave the bread pudding in the slow cooker until a knife comes out clean.
- When the bread pudding is done, you can serve it hot, or you can let it cool a bit, and place it in a covered container in the refrigerator. You can either serve it hot or cold. Serve with a scoop of ice cream, and drizzle thick caramel sauce over the top. Enjoy!
Caramel Sauce Directions
- In a heavy saucepan (non-stick or stainless steel) place the sugar and brown sugar, and add the water, and let the sugar and water sit for 2 minutes, until sugar is clear, or melted into water. Turn the heat on high, and bring the sugar to a boil, stirring constantly (I recommend a good whisk).
- When the mixture boils, remove it from the heat, and immediately add the butter, salt, and stir until it melts, continue stirring, and add the heavy cream stirring constantly until all the cream is blended in. Watch carefully. 20
- Place the pan back on the heat, and bring caramel sauce to a boil, (making sure to stir constantly to prevent sticking and burning). Remove the pan from the heat, and continue to stir until the sauce becomes thick. The Caramel sauce should be thick and will thicken even more as it cools. Pour the sauce into a small bowl or jar, let cool, and then place in the refrigerator. Top the bread pudding with the sauce when serving.
Crockpot Tips and Tools
- Slow Cooker Liners Makes Clean up a Breeze
- Crockpot Travel Carrier Take your favorite crockpot with you and keep it safe from spills.
- Digital Thermometer Perfect for checking the temperature of your meats in the crockpot.
- Shredding Claws Makes pulled pork and pulled chicken easier to shred without burning your hands.
- Bowls for Storage Makes leftovers and clean up easier.
- Baggy Rack Bag openers to hold bags open as you pour in ingredients.
- Crockpot Trio 3 1.5 crocks for side dishes and dips.
- Pioneer Woman 7 Quart Programmable Crockpot
- 13 Crockpot tips and uses
More Delicious Dessert Recipes
Menu Plan Cheat Sheets
Subscribe to get our latest recipes, budgeting and encouraging tips and receive our Free menu plan cheat sheet with 7 days sample recipes for Free.