I make my favorite Buttercream recipe many times during the week and use it on some of my cupcake recipes.
I have made frosting out of buttercream with powdered sugar, chocolate ganache, Italian buttercream, dairy-free buttercream frosting, cream cheese frosting, etc.
Even though it takes longer, I prefer swiss buttercream. It is light and is not too sticky sweet.
I start by getting all my ingredients out first, along with a double boiler and thermometer. You can also click here see some of my favorite easy dessert recipes.
My Favorite Buttercream Recipes
My Favorite Buttercream Recipe
- 8 oz egg whites
- 16 oz granulated sugar
- 1/4 ts salt
- 16 oz cold butter
- 1 ts Vanilla Extract or your favorite flavor
- Start with a double boiler and start with first 3 ingredients.
- Continuously stirring until it reaches 141 degrees on the candy thermometer.
- Carefully Pour mixer into a electric stand mixer and using a whisk, mix until medium peaks appear.
- Once it has cooled and is a medium to stiff meringue stop the mixer.
- Change to the paddle attachment and start mixing on low while adding the butter in small pieces.
- Then start mixing on medium speed and add vanilla.
- If will start to look runny and after a few minutes it will look like curdled milk and then in will start to thicken. This takes about 10 minutes in the mixer. Once its done it should hold its shape on a spoon.
- If at any point you need to thicken it up you can always put the bowl into the refrigerator for 5 – 10 minutes. It will thicken if you keep beating.
This is what I used for this lemon coconut cake. You could add lemon or coconut extract to the buttercream.
Here it is on some key lime cupcakes.
I would love to hear what your favorite frosting is. Also join me on facebook and continue the conversation.