Instant Pot Southwest Chicken Bowl Recipe, from Freezer to Finished in under 30 minutes in your Instant Pot. A Time-Saving Meal for busy moms.
Instant Pots fit right in with busy moms and families. You can get a complete meal done from frozen to the table in less than 30 minutes with most Instant Pot recipes.
These are perfect for times when you are running late or forgot to take the meat out of the freezer.
Chicken Bowl Recipe: Southwest Chicken and Rice
I had been planning on making this Chicken Bowl recipe for a while and this weekend was the perfect time to do it. I ran around doing errands all weekend and sat down to rest and fell asleep for a while.
When I woke up, I realized I needed to get dinner ready and it was getting late.
I pulled out my Instant Pot and ingredients and layered the frozen Chicken, the spices, salsa, rice, beans, and broth and in under 20 minutes, it was cooked. It does take a few minutes to get up to pressure. Make sure you allow for that.
I now had the choice to let it vent naturally for 15 additional minutes or let out the pressure little by little. I took that time and cleaned the kitchen up before we ate, got out some fruit for dessert and it was on the table.
The only sad thing was, that we started eating before I put out the grated cheese. It was actually delicious without it, but we got a few bites in with some. It was also my Mother in Law’s birthday so we had these birthday cupcakes.
Instant Pot Southwest Chicken and Rice
- 4-5 Skinless Boneless Chicken
- 1 packet Taco Seasoning
- 15 oz Can Black Beans Drained and Rinsed
- 12 oz Bag Frozen Corn
- 1 Jar Mild Salsa
- 3 cups uncooked brown rice rinsed
- 3 cups Chicken Broth
- Cheddar Cheese Shredded
- Cilantro Optional
- Sour Cream Optional
- Place Frozen Chicken Breasts in Bottom of Pressure Cooker. Add Taco Seasoning on top. Add Beans and Corn. Then pour salsa on top.
- Add rinsed rice and chicken broth.
- Cook on manual setting for 12 minutes, it will take time to get to correct pressure. When timer goes off, let pressure release naturally or use the quick release.
- Once the pressure has been released remove the lid. (Use caution when removing lid).
- Shred Chicken. Serve immediately. Top with cheddar cheese. Add optional ingredients.
How to Use The Instant Pot to Save Time in the Kitchen
You may have questions about using an Instant Pot and does it really save time. The long and short answer is yet. Here’s how.
- Despite the time it takes to come to pressure, you can cook bigger meals in less time.
- While the meal is cooking, you can be cleaning your kitchen or enjoying family time.
- You can cook bigger meals at once and create batch dinners
- There is less clean-up with one pot and a few utensils.
How to keep your Instant Pot clean
Caring for your Instant Pot will make your meals taste better and help your electronic appliance last longer.
You should spend a few extra minutes every few uses to keep your Instant Pot in the best condition.
This includes cleaning the pot with vinegar or lemon juice and bringing it up to pressure and steaming it once a month.
Cleaning the inner sealing is really important and it’s dishwasher safe.
How much salsa in the recipe? I’m sorry, but it’s missing from the recipe.
Thank you and I can’t wait to make it.
Candi Elm says
Thanks for finding that. 1 Jar of Mild Salsa, unless you want it spicier. Thanks for stopping by.
Whitney Bond says
Winner, winner chicken dinner! 🙂 This was the perfect 20 minute meal last week, when I was totally in a rush!
I make a similar recipe in my slow cooker but it takes all day. I love that this fabulous meal comes together in minutes, tastes amazing and is perfect for busy evenings. No more slow cooker for me, this is my go-to recipe. Great recipe!
Candi Elm says
I love all the flavors. I bet your kitchen smells delicious
Tara Kuczykowski says
As a mom of five, I’m ALL about time-saving meals… My kids will love this!
Would the cooking time be the same if the chicken s not frozen? I’m new to this type of cooking, sorry if it’s a stupid question!
Candi, how many ounces is the jar of salsa? Can’t wait to try this. Sounds delicious!